Dr. Brian J. Hockel, Dr. Rebecca Jardine, and our team are committed to helping you enjoy good oral health. We provide oral cancer screenings to diagnose disease in the early stages of development so that you can quickly receive the treatments you need.
What is oral cancer?
Oral cancer includes any type of cancer that affects the lips, tongue, floor of the mouth, cheeks, throat, sinuses, and hard and soft palates. These cancers can be successfully treated when detected early. Unfortunately, many people do not receive the preventive screenings needed to do so, and the cancer is not detected until it progresses into a more advanced, possibly life-threatening, stage.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
• A persistent sore throat
• A feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
• Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
• Chronic or persistent sores on the face, neck or mouth. These sores may bleed easily, and will not heal within a period of 2 weeks
• Unexplained loss of feeling in the face, neck or mouth
• Pain or numbness in the face, neck, or mouth
• Ear pain
• Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other areas of the mouth
• Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
• Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
• Changes in the fit of oral appliances (such as dentures) or in your bite
Don’t wait – call our office today at 925-478-7776 to make your oral cancer screening appointment with with Dr. Hockel or Dr. Jardine.
We are proud to provide dental care for patients in the areas of Walnut Creek, Clayton, and Concord, California, as well as the San Francisco East Bay area and beyond.