At our office, Dr. Hockel and Dr. Jardine offer tooth-colored fillings as one of our restorative treatment options.
What are Tooth-Colored (Resin) Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are made of a composite compound, which consists of glass or quartz filler in a resin medium. They can be matched in shade and color to look exactly like your natural teeth.
Tooth-colored fillings can be used to repair cavities (tooth decay) in the front or back teeth, instead of the old silver filling material once relied upon by many dentists.
What can I expect when getting a Change to Tooth-Colored (Resin) Fillings?
In most cases, the tooth will be made numb, and then the dentist will remove any decay or damaged tooth structure. The tooth is cleaned and sanitized, and then a special adhesive is applied to bond the filling to the tooth. The material can be molded and shaped to resemble a natural tooth, leaving you with beautiful, natural-looking results.
Tooth-colored fillings also can be installed to replace older dental restorations. Perhaps your existing filling is failing or has discolored your teeth, or you have developed an allergy to metal and are suffering a reaction from your old silver fillings. Maybe you are concerned about the potential risks of mercury exposure from amalgam fillings; mercury comprises as much as 50 percent of the composition of dental amalgam, potentially releasing toxic mercury vapors into your bloodstream every time you eat or drink.
Whatever the reason, the staff at Dr. Hockel’s office can install a beautiful new tooth-colored filling. In areas of more substantial damage, a porcelain inlay/onlay or a crown may be needed to replace the older filling in efforts of saving the tooth from further damage.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored (Resin) Fillings
• They have a natural tooth color.
• Resin fillings bond to surrounding tooth, adding strength to the tooth.
• Resin fillings are metal-free, making them ideal for patients with a metal allergy.
• Resin fillings are mercury-free, eliminating the concerns about neurological, physiological or immunological damage from exposure to the mercury present in amalgam fillings.
• Resin fillings preserve more of the remaining natural tooth structure.
• Resin fillings are a healthier option that will look great and help prevent fractures or cracks in the tooth.
IIf you have questions about tooth-colored fillings or any other restorative dental treatments offered by Brian J. Hockel and Dr. Rebecca Jardine, call us at 925-478-7776. A member of our staff will be happy to help.
Our office serves patients from Walnut Creek, Clayton, and Concord, California, as well as from the greater San Francisco East Bay area and beyond.